Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Top ten reasons why I’m excited to move to Prospect Heights.

#10- Living with my sister, Sir D’bry, and possibly, Jim.

I am social by nature and have a perpetual urge to be making jokes, talking, and/or laughing with other people. Living with Dane, Dews and Jim would be a real treat. In fact, it is more like a decadent indulgence, and I’m super excited.


#9- Serenity at last

Ever thought that your building might crumble on top of you while you’re asleep at night? Well, I have. My last landlord was a slumlord, and not just any slumlord. He was pretty much the king of all slumlords- stairs crooked, ceilings falling, black mold spreading, it’s a miracle we escaped unscathed (let’s hope we aren’t calling 1-800- mesothelioma a few years from now). Fast forward to September and we will be living in a newly renovated 3 bedroom with modern everything, and a working video intercom. Heaven.


#8- Change is good

NYC is a big place. But for some of us it can seem small, especially when we continually bump into old classmates or see someone on the street and remember that we saw that same person on the subway just a few days ago. Also, commuting an unvarying route every day and going out in the same neighborhood (lower east side) truncates the city into familiar segments one can comprehend. This is probably a way for us to feel more comfortable in a city full of strangers. But these defaults locales are actually quite restrictive and hinder exploration of what the city has to offer.

Moving to a new part of the city requires us to get to know new streets and the people and places that fill them. For any mortal, the city has infinite offerings and the best way to experience them is to change it up.


#7- Brooklyn Museum, Botanical Gardens

Moving on to the Prospect Heights specifics, I will be living exactly .2 miles away from the Brooklyn Museum and .3 miles from the Botanic Gardens. Aside from the fact that these are perfect places to bring visiting friends and family, I actually plan to frequent these places myself. Especially the Brooklyn Museum, which has outstanding exhibits and free parties on the first Saturday of each month. The parties include film screenings, poetry readings, and dancing. The museum pretty much turns into a nightclub once a month. Here is a yelp.com review by Jessica E. who gave the Brooklyn Museum five stars:


I went to the July edition of Target-sponsored First Saturdays at the BK Museum, a little dubious about what it meant that there was a "dance party in the parking lot," according to a friend in the know. Well, good lord, I've never experienced such a thing in my whole life. "Dance party in the parking lot" doesn't begin to describe what was going on that night:

-hot, hot young people, ages 20-45, all races & ethnicities
-a swarmed scene (people hanging in the front, watching karaoke in the lobby, seeing the new Warhol exhibit, as well as hundreds groovin' in the back)
-the most amazing 80s DJ I've ever heard
-reasonably priced drinks ($6 Brooklyn Lager)
-incredible dancing and a really enthusiastic crowd who could care less about looking ridiculous
-FREE!!! DID I MENTION THAT THE WHOLE THING WAS TOTALLY FREE?!?!?!?

Anyway, people--do what's right for yourself. Go dance. You can thank me later. See you in August.


Well thank you, Jessica. That sounds great.


#6- Park Slop food co-op

I realize that the co-op is in Park Slope and I’m moving to Prospect Heights but it is literally 5 minutes away on bike, and I’m psyched. Now that I will have some free time on my hands, I will be able to buy healthy foods at 20-40% less than market rate in exchange for working 2 hours and 45 minutes per month and a onetime fee of $125 ($100 of which is returned upon termination of membership). Environmental sustainability is one of the co-op’s main tenants and the food they sell is as locally grown and organic as possible. Right up my tree hugging alley!


#5- Speaking Spanish

Alas, my once fluent Español is now in a sad, sad state. Law school did a number on my practicing so I really need to up the ante when it comes to hablando. Although there are a handful of Spanish speakers in my life, it’s hard to switch to communicating in Spanish after our relationship was built in English. Somehow, someway, I’m going to try to make friends in Spanish. If that doesn’t work I will go down the street to the Multilingual Center at the public library and see what they have to offer.


#4- How does your garden groooow?

In attempt to lure us into an apartment, one of the brokers showed us the local gardens where anyone can get a free plot of land to till. Sold! In most of NYC, a piece of land to garden on is a rare gem. Last year, I was so desperate for my own garden that I risked my life to venture onto our crooked roof attempting to grow jalapeños, green onions, tomatoes, and spinach. Although I got some decent jalapenos and onions, the roof was far too hot and sunny for any leafy green and I’m not quite sure what happened with the tomatoes.

I love gardening and am rearin’ to go at it once again. This fall, I plan to plant garlic on my plot and have it ready by next summer. Woohooo.


#3- Prospect Park

It’s really unnecessary to discuss how freakin amazing it is to live next to a large park in the middle of a city. 3.35 mile runs every other day and no gym membership needed.


#2- Food

There’s a huge array of food options around Prospect Heights including many Caribbean joints, a Golden Crust down the block, and some hip looking places on Franklin Avenue. The recently opened juice bar Veggie serves fresh and healthy smoothies and juices. I ordered the Franklin Ave specialty pink lemonade aka “the Devon,” it was a magical nectar of lemon, beets, apples, and ginger. Words can’t even describe how happy my taste buds were. To top it off, Veggie is owned by a lovely mother and son duo who plan to start serving vegan food in the near future.


#1- Community

I’ve been to Prospect Heights two or three times to check out apartments and the community sentiment is palpable. People are eager to say hello and are willing to chat. This is in contrast to the staunch anonymity of most of Manhattan and even Downtown Brooklyn neighborhoods (I wasn’t even acquainted with the employees at the Pizzeria next door even after 2 years on Court Street).

I’m looking forward to knowing local business owners, neighbors, and the old people who sit outside and watch the world go by. This is community and Prospect Heights has it.

1 comment: